Java is a high level, robust, object-oriented and secure programming language (and a platform), created by James Gosling in 1995 at Sun Microsystems. It is owned by Oracle since 2009-10. More than 3 billion devices run Java.
Usage of Java
- Mobile applications (especially Android apps)
- Desktop applications
- Web applications
- Web servers and application servers
- Database connection.
Why Use Java?
- Java works on different platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Raspberry Pi, etc.)
- It is one of the most popular programming language in the world
- It is easy to learn and simple to use
- It is open-source and free
- It is secure, fast and powerful
- It has a huge community support (tens of millions of developers)
Any hardware or software environment in which a program runs is known as a platform. Since Java has a runtime environment (JRE) and API, it is called a platform.